Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Cough - Change from omeprazole to Lansoprazole Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
susan333
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote susan333 Replybullet Topic: Cough - Change from omeprazole to Lansoprazole
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 3:40pm
Hi
I recently asked my GP if there was anything he could prescribe to help my cough, which, like all my symptoms, is not too bad, suppose its more like an annoying tickle in the throat. I seem to have developed a sore throat too, although I suppose this might be unconnected. I didnt think there would be anything he could prescribe just for the cough alone, but was feeling optimistic when he said there was definitely something that would help. Went to pick up the prescription today and surprise, surprise, it was just a prescription for a different ppi. I was on omeprazole, but now he has put me on lansoprazole. Does anyone know the difference between them. Does lansoprazole target the throat area more than omeprazole. The same GP several months ago told me that all the ppi's are the same.
All the best
Sue
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:34pm
Hi again Sue,

I tried lansoprazole, pantoprazole and omeprazole and found no discernable difference between them. When my cough became so bad I was having a coughing fits during the day in which I nearly passed out and had to hold tightly onto something to stop myself falling, and sitting up a couple of hours in the night coughing at least once a week, my consultant upped my omeprazole to the limits: 40mg in the morning and 40mg in the evening. It did reduce the events a bit but piled on all the unwanted side effects. I'd effectively removed all the acid from my stomach (a condition known as hypochlorhydria) which isn't good.

The cough is due to the reflux not the acid. It was the anti-reflux surgery which eventually tamed the cough. - Not 100% as acid reflux has probably damaged the upper oesophageal sphincter. That may be what's causing your sore throat.

As to what to do to help? The only cough medicine I found helpful was pholcodine linctus. It is a cough suppressant. I took a good healthy swig every night - and coughed like a smoker (which I'm not) every morning.

It is a "P" drug - so has to be bought from a pharmacist (who'll ask if you've had it before, what other medication you're on etc. to ensure you're not trying to OD your system on codeine). But it's not unpleasant to taste and is cheap.

Hope it helps.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
susan333
Groupie
Groupie

Quote susan333 Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 6:12pm
Hi Chris
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Think my GP must have changed my ppi just to keep me quiet for a bit! Why didnt he just say he was changing my ppi, rather than suggest it was a cure for my tickly cough.

Glad you are now feeling better. You must be over the moon, as your symptoms were so bad before the op.

I am really grateful that so far my symptoms are more annoying than painful, so I would not consider operation unless things get bad.

All the best
Sue
IP IP Logged
Gordon
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Gordon Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
Hi Sue

I was also on Omeprazole and went to my Gastroentorologist when I started losing my voice and getting sore throats.
He changed my medication to Lansoprazole as well.
I thought it was just a stronger PPI but he said that the Omeprazole should stop the acid but the reflux of bile can cause the sore throats.
He never did explain why he changed the medication to Lansoprazole.     
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 2:59pm
Hi Sue

Hadn't seen this until after I posted something on the other forum so I won't repeat  it all but changing from omeprazole to lansoprazole has improved my breathing considerably but I do seem to cough more on lansoprazole than omeprazole and there's no difference in the sore throats or voice problems.  Have you noticed any difference since changing ppi? 

All the best Sue
Suzy
IP IP Logged
susan333
Groupie
Groupie

Quote susan333 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:08am
Hi Suzy
Havent noticed any difference either way yet (changing from omeprazole to lansoprazole). Only changed a few days ago, so not sure whether they act immediately or take a couple of weeks to kick in. Will let you know if there is any change.
All the best
Sue
IP IP Logged
susan333
Groupie
Groupie

Quote susan333 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
Hi again Suzy
Just another little moan.
I felt my symptoms were getting worse and as I am going on holiday about the time my two yearly endoscopy is due,I went to the Doctors to see if it could be brought forward. The doctor agreed to contact the hospital to bring the appointment forward (bearing in mind my appointment would have been in June anyway). When my appointment came through I discovered I had been given an appointment with a consultant, rather than the endoscopy. When I phoned the hospital up they said I would then have to wait around two months after this to get my endoscopy. (Has the world gone mad!) However, after lengthy explanations, which I thought my GP had done, I think I may be getting an earlier appointment for endoscopy than June, though I wont hold my breath!
All the best
Sue
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:19pm
I, too had a cough. And sometimes bad bile reflux.

Bile reflux in itself can cause a cough!

However I have now cured both the cough and the bile reflux, and am still taking Omeprazole!

It is certain, from my experiments that Omeprazole is the cause of both. Excess Omeprazole is metabolised in the liver, so it's hardly a surprise that bile production is affected!

The cure for both is to minimise the dose: little and often. I have been taking 1/2 of a 10mG capsule every 8 hours: first thing in the morning, about 3 p.m and again before bed.

Full blog is at
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/HHetc.html

I'll be interested to know if others find the same!
IP IP Logged
headyheady
Groupie
Groupie

Quote headyheady Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:20am
Hi
Thank you for this, I will try taking several tablets of lanzaprosole throughout the day instead of just one tablet.

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:03am
Several tablets" - they need to be small doses. I dropped to 3 x 5mG Omeprazole per diem to cure all symptoms.

The capsules are full of granules so dividing roughly in half is easy: you don't need to be very accurate!

The symptoms are probably generic to PPIs and not just to one particular one.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version