Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum  
Message Icon Topic: Results of barium swallow Post Reply Post New Topic
Jackie9
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jackie9 Replybullet Topic: Results of barium swallow
    Posted: 04†Dec†2019 at 7:30pm
Hi. Posted a few days ago about bad chest pain and back ache and could this be related to my reflux/oesophagus. Today I got the results from my gp who reported back to me that the flow of barium was ok and that there were clean definition of the sides only oesophagus. BUT
the upper part of my oesophagus from rib1-5 shows narrowing by 50%. My gp seemed quite concerned about this and has suggested an urgent CT scan. Obviously this has completely shocked me and I am feeling numb. My brain has gone into overdrive and now am convincing myself that Iíve a tumour pressing on my oesophagus and itís curtains for me as Iíve had these symptoms for a long time. Canít believe that with all the scopes Iíve had that this is happening( apparently when they scope your oesophagus any restrictions wouldnít be noticed as they push the scope through). Please has anyone else had this diagnosis after a barium swallow

Regards Jackie

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05†Dec†2019 at 10:04am
Hi Jackie,

The symptoms you describe are troubling and I hope they soon manage to identify the cause.
It's probably not cancer. It certainly doesn't sound like oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Whilst OAC can cause swallowing difficulties, it would be from a tumour inside the oesophagus at the bottom end and would be clearly visible on endoscopy.
Whilst strictures can form that tighten the oesophagus, as a body defence to reduce reflux, they would normally be in the lower oesophagus.
IP IP Logged
Jackie9
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Jackie9 Replybullet Posted: 05†Dec†2019 at 10:19am
Hi Rob
Thanks for your reply. Yes my oesophagus is clear al the way down. They have identified 50% restriction. I suppose the CT scan will show if anything is pushing against the sides. So Iím very concerned and will now have to wait for some diagnosis. Iíll let you know thanks jackie
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version