Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Recently Diagnosed with Barretts Post Reply Post New Topic
BMFP
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote BMFP Replybullet Topic: Recently Diagnosed with Barretts
    Posted: 13áNová2019 at 3:47pm
Hi I have recently been diagnosed with Barretts short segment Prague CO1 M2 3X biopsy at 40cm with no dysplasia found. Signs of reflux in Oesophagus. No form of follow up surveillance   required advised by Consultant. I take 20mg of Omeprazole in the morning. Still have burping symptoms when I rise from a lying or sitting position and have a salty/ sweet taste on my lips. My concern is am I on the correct amount of Omeprazole or should I be on 20mg tablet at night? I was given no instructions from the consultant on the amount I should be taking. Have the guidlines regarding surveillance changed?
IP IP Logged
truthfreesall
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote truthfreesall Replybullet Posted: 13áNová2019 at 10:59pm
Hello BMFP welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. To answer your question. Omeprazole is a standard H2 blocker commonly known as Prilosec OTC. 20mg is a rather low dosage which is a good thing. I for example am currently on 40mg of a similar medication 2x a day. The medication is good at stopping acid from being released in the evening. I myself have nighttime reflux so h2 blockers work best for me.

The least medication you need the better for you and your health in the long run in my humble opinion. The best individual around here for advice is a fellow by the name of Chris. I highly recommend you purchasing or downloading his book "down with acid". It will teach you all you need to know about the condition, the medication, the prevention, the treatments etc.

Also, don't be surprised if you have to switch medications 3-4 times to find which one works best for you. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to talk to your doctor.

If you don't mind me asking how old were you when you were diagnosed.

Edited by truthfreesall - 13áNová2019 at 11:01pm
IP IP Logged
BMFP
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote BMFP Replybullet Posted: 14áNová2019 at 11:33am
Thank you truthfreesall for your reply. To anwser your question I am male age 66yrs and have suffered from some form of reflux and nasel drip for a number of years. I was scoped about 15yrs ago and found to have bacteria in my stomach. I was given medication to sort the problem out but continued to have bouts of indigestion. I have never had any problems with heartburn. I have noticed  the posts and advice from Chris so perhaps I should ask for his advice. I will in the meantime download his book. Thanks once again for your feedback.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 15áNová2019 at 10:22am
Hi BMFP,

Sounds as if your problems are more due to nocturnal reflux than acid.

Acid will be managed by your omeprazole (actually a Proton Pump Inhibitor rather than an H2 blocker).
Actually Prilosec is not available Over The Counter in UK. (The branded version is actually Losec in UK but you'll be more likely to be prescribed generic omeprazole which is just as good but cheaper for NHS.)

However, although good at reducing acid, PPIs do not reduce reflux - they just make it less damaging.
To reduce reflux, you'll need to follow the lifestyle changes found in
this chapter of Down With Acid.

It is probably unnecessary to increase your medication unless you are getting considerable burning from oesophagitis that needs to heal.

The UK guidelines may be found on Barrett's Wessex website here.

c1m2 shows a collar of 1 cm height with tongue(s) a maximum of 2 cm. As such, it is a very small segment and, unless you have other risk factors, eg family history, overweight, etc, your consultant may feel it doesn't actually require regular surveillance scoping. Over 95% of repeat scopes show no changes so, in that regard, may be considered an unnecessary waste of time and money - but, of course, they do provide reassurance to the patient.

If you notice any symptom changes, you can ask for a repeat scope.

The Down With Acid book has its own website here: www.DownWithAcid.org.uk and I can send you a printed copy if you email chris@chrisrob.co.uk with your address details.

Cheers
IP IP Logged
BMFP
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote BMFP Replybullet Posted: 15áNová2019 at 4:00pm
Thank you so much Chris for your advise.I think I may suffer from LPR as I appear to have the symptoms I am currently on 20mg of Omeprazole and Gaviscon Advanced after meals and before bed. I will download Down with Acid and continue to follow this excellent forum.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version