Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Newly diagnosed help needed Post Reply Post New Topic
April
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote April Replybullet Topic: Newly diagnosed help needed
    Posted: 24áSepá2019 at 10:17pm
Had reflux since last year also hiatus hernia been suffering really bad lots of pain chest,back feeling sick and really struggling. I had pancreatic cancer 6 years ago and have now got secondary to both lungs and I am getting over operation now waiting to have another one I've had a whipples operation 6 years ago since then always suffering my body makes too much bile etc.My oncologist has put me on sucralfate and metoclopramide as so have been taking highest amount of ppi s don't eat spicy food or smoke its every time I eat everyday just need some advice I think my body is producing too much acid it burns my chest ,throat and I get blisters where the damage is done what do I do next ........... Sorry for the long post but I am worried

Edited by April - 24áSepá2019 at 10:24pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 25áSepá2019 at 10:15am
Hi April,

Sorry you're suffering and to hear of how much you've had to go through.

Contrary to common belief, it's unlikely you are making too much acid. Acidity is regulated by hormones. PPI medication will reduce the stomach's ability to make acid. The sulcrafate will provide some extra protection and the metoclopramide may help reduce reflux. However, there's only so much medication can do.

It seems your main problem currently is controlling the reflux. The medication cannot do this, it just makes the refluxate less erosive.

Hopefully you'll be able to manage the reflux with some lifestyle modification:

• Lose weight if necessary.
  • Eat small meals - little and often.
  • Take your time eating, chewing well.
  • Avoid tight clothing.
  • Avoid exercise after food that tilts, jolts or compresses the stomach.
  • Remain upright whilst eating.
  • Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed.
  • Raise the head of your bed 15-20cm (6-8 inches) on blocks.

Spicy food shouldn't be a problem. It's not the food that causes the problems (though excess fat will stimulate production of bile) but the oesophagitis inflammation caused by the stomach acid. If you feel pain from any particular foods, it's from it irritating the extant oesophagitis. So you only need to avoid foods that cause you discomfort. (See the chapter on heartburn in the free Down With Acid encyclopaedia.

The Bite Size pamphlet is a good starting point for understanding the condition more.

IP IP Logged
April
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote April Replybullet Posted: 25áSepá2019 at 6:18pm
Thank you so much for the quick reply i am a good weight and I do all of the above as mentioned look forward to learning more about the condition am also on antibiotics for gastritis at the moment
IP IP Logged
April
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote April Replybullet Posted: 25áSepá2019 at 8:02pm
Thanks again for all the information leave also down loaded down with acid so I've got lots of reading so glad I found this site 😊
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version