Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Op without GA? Post Reply Post New Topic
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote NickH Replybullet Topic: Op without GA?
    Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:42am
Dear All
I'm probably looking at going forward for Fundo op to sort my HH. I don't feel overly concerned about the actual op but more so about the anesthetic. I know there are alternative methods out there but wondered if anyone out there had any knowledge or experience of such stuff?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:51pm
I would doubt this operation could be done other than with a general anaesthetic. I do know some operations can be done with just local anaesthesia, indeed a previous partner had a hip operation done that way as her Parkinson's precluded her from full anaesthesia but the delicacy of this procedure and the millimetre accuracy to avoid damage to the vagus nerve, means they have to ensure the patient is totally immobile.
Yes, it's a scary thought you'll be put to sleep and will you wake up again, but it's the anaesthetist's job to ensure you are kept at the correct level of unconsciousness and monitor your vital signs throughout. They are the unsung heroes of the operating theatres: put your trust in them.
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:11pm
Thanks for your reply Chris. I expect it to be unlikely but thought i'd put the question out there.

I'm based in the NW of the UK, i know it is good to have an experienced surgeon do the procedure and so wondered if you had any recommendations for my area?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:27pm
Hi Nick,

Although I don't know him personally, I believe Prof Michael Griffin at Newcastle has an excellent reputation in this field.

The Northern Oesophago Gastric Unit and their oesophagoose mascot and awareness campaign have been going strong for a few years now.

All the best
Chris

IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:53pm
Thank you
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version