Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General  
Message Icon Topic: Ppis and Barretts Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Sm12
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sm12 Replybullet Posted: 12†Apr†2019 at 12:35pm
I see thereís quite a high percentage of people back on ppis tho, probably with better symptom control
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12†Apr†2019 at 1:10pm
I had been on 80mg omeprazole daily prior to my first fundo, with no benefit to my reflux - though no more heartburn. (But I knew it if I missed a day.)

Following the op. I was totally off meds until the wrap failed.
Following second op, totally off meds again until just over a year ago. I'd started getting a small amount of oesophagitis again (though only noticed it if I had my customary glass of wine with my dinner). That's when I went for a requested scope to confirm and went back on 20mg omeprazole, which is when it was confirmed my wrap was intact. Another scope a few weeks later showed inflammation had healed and I can drink wine again with no problem. But I'm staying on low dose omeprazole just as a precaution. No reflux issues and if I miss a day, I don't notice it.
IP IP Logged
Sm12
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sm12 Replybullet Posted: 12†Apr†2019 at 1:21pm
Thanks Chris just read your book downwithacid very informative.
IP IP Logged
Sm12
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sm12 Replybullet Posted: 14†Apr†2019 at 2:54pm
Hi Chris you say you were in 80mg ppis before op that didnít work apart from getting no heartburn, what symptoms of reflux were you getting then to finally go for op? Thanks
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14†Apr†2019 at 6:05pm
The omeprazole was great at reducing the acid and curing my oesophagitis, but it did nothing to reduce the reflux.
(A survey I conducted a couple of years ago led to the conclusion, "In the management of symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux, acid suppressant medication did not appear to be effective whereas reflux reduction surgery was.")

I had reflux symptoms all my life but didn't realise they were reflux.
My worst symptom prior to my op was my chronic reflux cough. I'd have a coughing fit at least once a day which would last 2 hours and end with me practically passing out.

This symptom checker lists most of the symptoms that may be due to acid or reflux.
IP IP Logged
Sm12
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sm12 Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 4:31pm
Any problems with nasal congestion/sinusitis before your fundoplication that was sorted with the op? Always constantly blocked
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 6:05pm
Constant problems with blocked nose and sinusitis.
I remember my mother taking me to the doctor when I was three years old. She was concerned I was a "mouth breather". Doctor said it was "childhood catarrh" I'd grow out of!
A couple of years later, I had my tonsils and adenoids out to see if it helped.

In my late twenties, I used to suffer terribly with sinusitis and had my sinuses flushed on a few occasions.
I've had allergy tests. An ENT surgeon declared I had nasal polyps but another said he couldn't see any.

I just got used to living like that. Once I'd had my fundo, I could breathe again and discovered I did have a sense of smell after all.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version