Healthcare Professionals
 Barrett's Support Forum :Healthcare Professionals :Healthcare Professionals
Message Icon Topic: Professional comments please! Post Reply Post New Topic
davidf

Online Status: Offline
Quote davidf Replybullet Topic: Professional comments please!
    Posted: 11 May 2007 at 4:54pm
I would appreciate a response from health care professionals to the claims/studies that have been posted on the forum making some very remarkable claims for 'cures' of Barrett's.  Number one, I think that these are blatent advertising and should be either backed up by UK approval or should be removed from the site.  Number two, I beleive that even with this level of 'cure' it still does not eliminate getting to all those we haven't heard of Barrett's yet and that do not know they have either barrett's or o.c. until its too late.  Thirdly it would be good if any of you could keep us informed of latest trials, research, and current thinking.
As patients we are keen to know what is going on and we would like some more input from you to keep up our spirits.
Many thanks

Davidf
IP IP Logged
pierre

Quote pierre Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2007 at 2:19pm

I have worked in research in Barrett's for the last 7 years. I am not a clinician but i am very aware of what is being done now to improve patient care and outcome for patients with Barrett's.

There are a number of clinical trials currently being carried out. The biggest one is called the ASPECT trial (Aspirin Esomeprazole chemoprevention trial) that aims to determine if using regular low doses of aspirin may be protective against cancer. The results will not be in for at least 10 years. This study recruits Barrett's patients all over th UK.
There is a study called BEST (barrett's oesophagus screening trial) which aims at detecting all those undiagnosed Barrett's patients in the population. This study recruits patients with heartburn in some GP surgeries in cambridgeshire.
Another study in preparation to identify ways to mesure the individual risk of progression to cancer. This would allow a better surveillance programme where patients with a high risk would be follow up much more stringently.

Taken together, studies like that, if successfull, would allow to detect all barrett's patients at an early stage. Patients at a high risk would be better advised. If aspirin does have an effect it could be proposed to patients to decrease the risk of progression.
As for treatment option, i have answered a post in the barrett's section. Although such therapies should not be dismissed (as they are promising), great care should be taken in assessing them to ensure that they offer what they promise.

I certainly see an improvement on the standard of care and knowledge in the field of Barrett's research. There has been a great influx of funds and the next 10-20 years could see major advances.

Pierre
IP IP Logged
Hammad1

Quote Hammad1 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 12:38pm
It would indeed be very very usefull if the healthcare professionals would post something on this topic
IP IP Logged
christinagogee

Quote christinagogee Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 6:00pm
well i too agree with u n want to appreciate it,,

lung cancer symptoms
Lung cancer awareness
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version