Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum  
Message Icon Event: Controlling my system - Event Date: 14 Oct 2018 Post Reply Post New Topic
Beast
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Beast Replybullet Calendar Event: Controlling my system
    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:21pm
Hi everyone, can anyone give me advice on how to talk and get the consultants to listen to me. My symptoms of the Barrett’s are getting really bad but the consultants just give me tablets but even these aren’t working. Any help with advice will be good. 😃
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:05pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly we need to understand the condition.
Barrett's is a permanent addition of "armour plating" cells to protect your body from acid erosion. It has no symptoms of its own, what you may experience is from the acid refluxing or oesophagitis inflammation.

Your doctors can only offer you medication to reduce the acid.
I'm assuming the medication is what's known as a Proton Pump Inhibitor (eg omeprazole, lansoprazole or something else ending in -prazole). They don't reduce the reflux which you'll have to manage by lifestyle.

If you have oesophagitis, reducing the acid refluxing over it will permit it to heal but it can take several weeks.

The Down With Acid encyclopaedia is a free resource that will provide much information on the condition and how to manage reflux. If you wish to PM me or email me a postal address to chris@chrisrob.co.uk, I can send you a free printed copy if you wish.

In the meantime, keep a diary detailing the symptoms you get - which will help you learn how to avoid them and help your doctor see what and when the problems are.

Tips to reduce reflux include:
Lose weight (if applicablle).
No smoking.
Eat small meals and more often to avoid overfilling your stomach.
Do not exercise on a full stomach.
Wait at least 3 - 4 hours after your evening meal before going to bed.
Raise the head of the bed 6 - 8 inches on blocks so gravity will help keep any residual stomach contents from washing back.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version