Message Icon Topic: Recently Diagnosed Post Reply Post New Topic
Liamp
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Liamp Replybullet Topic: Recently Diagnosed
    Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:18am
Hi All

Diagnosed with Barrett's 2 months ago and now really looking to completely understand what is happening down there. GP not really much help and information from this GP is a bit sketchy at best. So I've had acid reflux for over 20 years as much as I can remember and been on PPi's for the last 10 years. The PPi's work great and eliminate any reflux. I've cut coffee, alcohol, wheat, dairy, red meat out over the last 2 weeks. I havnt really got a great understanding yet and i'm not really one for looking online as i tend to find it can again be a bit sketchy and generalised online. Happy to have found this group and i will probably ask many questions and I happy to answer any questions.

Ultra sound result unremarkable
Blood test, Vit B12, D, Folic, Iron, deficiency
Gastroscopy, 4cm sliding hernia. 2 pieces of mucosa 3mm each, duodenal mucosa with no significant pathological abnormality, gastric mucosa, the list is endless. It's the gastroscopy report I don't understand the most.
Edit No displaysia on any biopsy reported

Anyway looking forward to learning more about his and any help and advice is truly apreciated

Thnsk

Liam

Edited by Liamp - 28 Jun 2018 at 10:22am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 5:13pm
Hi Liam and welcome to the forum.

Most people have never heard of Barrett's before they're diagnosed.
Your Barrett's formed as a result of acid and bile refluxing from your stomach into the oesophagus and may be thought of as armour plating produced by the body to protect the lower oesophagus from acid erosion.

See the "Put Simply" chapter in the free Down With Acid encyclopaedia, here.

As far as diet goes, you only need to omit items if you discover they are a particular trigger for you.
It's not so much what we eat as how we eat that's important for refluxers.
(See the Food section in Down With Acid.)

PPIs are great at reducing acid but you may still experience reflux that is not so erosive and damaging but can cause other symptoms (eg cough).
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version