Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum  
Message Icon Topic: Newly Diagnosed- No Symptoms, No Hernia Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
bobdigi

Online Status: Offline
Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 10†Jun†2018 at 12:29pm
Well the ppi's stopped working as well as they did. And also i'm not overweight and I don't smoke or drink (maybe twice a year) so I think the doctor who did my scope thought I was a good candidate. Plus we aren't old. A lot of people get heartburn because they are overweight. If you are I doubt they will consider it. But if you are of a good weight, look after your health, then it's definitely worth asking if you could be considered. Especially if the ppi's are causing side effects!
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10†Jun†2018 at 2:01pm
Standard rule in use is, if PPIs ar't working (in spite of increasing quantity), and reflux is casing distress, then surgery can be considered.

However, I suggest (and have suggested it to the principal Oesophageal cancer professor at Cambridge) they should look at the patient's symptoms. If problems are mainly acid, PPIs are the answer; if symptoms are mainly reflux, surgery should be considered.

Symptom Checker
IP IP Logged
jane79
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote jane79 Replybullet Posted: 10†Jun†2018 at 5:49pm
Although I am not overweight or a smoker (occasional drinker) I donít have bad symptoms so doubt Iíd be considered. I sometimes get heartburn overnight but it resolves fairly quickly. I only really had bother when pregnant. Might have a few reflux symptoms but not sure if Iím just focusing on things more now that I have been diagnosed! Iíve been put on PPIís anyway since acid/bile must have been an issue to cause the Barrettís but not liking the idea of being on them forever.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version