Message Icon Topic: Ppi Post Reply Post New Topic
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Topic: Ppi
    Posted: 19†May†2018 at 8:36am
Hi everyone
Just wondering the difference between PPIs Iím currently being change from lansaprazole to esmeprazole Iíve also been on omeprazole for quiet a few years with no issues until recently they stopped working , itís all very confusing surely if one doesnít work none of the others will too . I feel like Iím loosing the battle with acid at the minute and it worryís me silly thinking the BE will progress which I donít want to happen as my results showed in January no intestinal metaplasia or displasia or malignancy all of which was very new to me as Iíd never heard of BE before my endoscopy, I know the HH is causing the reflux but surely one of the PPIs should be working by now
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 19†May†2018 at 9:46am
What symptoms are you having? Are they mainly from the acid (eg burning) or the reflux (eg throat and cough)?
(You can check your symptoms on this table.)

There are a number of different PPIs and all are as effective as each other at reducing acid when taken at equivalent strength (See this table). It is possible you have become accustomed to one and switching to another may be beneficial.

However, as I showed in my research, Prevalence of Extra-Oesophageal Reflux symptoms amongst acid refluxers and perceived efficacy of regular medication and reflux reduction intervention. although PPIs reduce acid they are not good at reducing reflux for which you need to follow the lifestyle advice.

It's very unlikely your Barrett's will progress and taking the PPI, even if it doesn't stop reflux symptoms, should help in that respect by keeping the reflux non erosive.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 19†May†2018 at 10:22am
Thanks for your reply Chris
Iím getting lots of pain in my upper chest and mid way down also ulcers in my mouth went to docs yesterday thatís when she changed meds Iíve done all the relevant changes as in life style too but was wondering if the multivitamins and probiotic capsules are aggravating my oeshophagus I canít win at the min. I did ask doc if taking these was ok and she yes
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version