Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus  
Message Icon Topic: Gallbladder removal and reflux Post Reply Post New Topic
Vera918
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Vera918 Replybullet Topic: Gallbladder removal and reflux
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:03pm
I was wondering if anyone else has had their gallbladder removed and if they noticed a increase in bile reflux after surgery. I never had any symptoms of reflux until after my gallbladder removal which prompted my endoscopy that diagnosed my Barrett’s. And it was specifically bile reflux. My understanding is that PPI don’t do much for bile like they do acid. I have also been on PPI protonix now for 1.5 weeks 40mg twice daily and still burp after eating or drinking- even water. Is this a sign it may not be working? Anyone with similar issues?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:11pm
Hi Vera,

I had my gallbladder out some years ago, a few months after my origin fundoplication. (My blog of that event may be read here.)

For your Barrett's to form, you will have been refluxing bile along with the acid, as explained here.
PPIs reduce the acid but not the bile - though without the acid, the bile is no more dangerous than other refluxate (eg pain water).

You most probably did have acid reflux prior to your cholecystectomy but were unaware of it (40% of acid refluxers claim not to experience the expected symptoms.

Burping is good. Transient Lower Oesophageal Sphincter Relaxation is the natural way to relieve pressure in the stomach and remove unwanted gas - which is usually the result of swallowed air (aerophagia), a bi-product of chemical interactions of foods and stomach acid or produced by bacteria normally in the digestive tract.
The problem is, uncontrolled burping will reflux stomach contents into the oesophagus.
You may find sipping sparkling water a good way to produce controlled burps when you can ensure your body is uprightto expel the gas from your stomach.

PPIs (like Protonix - pantoprazole) do not reduce burps.
IP IP Logged
Vera918
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Vera918 Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 1:14am
Thanks Chris! I had a horrible recovery after my gallbladder surgery- and I was fine through 2 c-sections which is odd that i was that uncomfortable. Mine was not a emergency like yours, but they were hoping to help with the pain in my shoulder blades and I had a few stones. I now believe the pain was actually a symptom of reflux - and maybe the only one I was having.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version