Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Nissan fundoplication Post Reply Post New Topic
Dumps
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dumps Replybullet Topic: Nissan fundoplication
    Posted: 28†Mar†2018 at 4:59pm
Hi I had this op three years ag and unfortunately it didnít work. I am back on lansprazoleand ranitidine. Some months I can cope with being on the meds but this week life has been hell with the acid. Last night if I didnít know better I would have thought I was having a heart attack. Is this my life from now on donít eat after 7 donít drink donít eat spicy foods really driving me mad. Trying to get an appointment with the doc is not easy theses days. Has anyone else had the op and it didnít work?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28†Mar†2018 at 5:37pm
Sorry your wrap hasn't worked for you. There are some for whom it seems to have been ineffective though we don't really see why.

Acid suppressants only reduce acid not reflux. Fundoplication is supposed to stop reflux (but not acid).
It could be your wrap isn't tight enough or has failed. You really need to speak to the surgeon again if you can get a referral. It is possible to have it redone if necessary.
My own wrap was the best thing I ever did, 10 years ago, but it failed a few years later after 5 hours violent retching from norovirus. I had it repaired with a Collis-Nissan. The Collis bit effectively provides a longer oesophagus below the diaphragmatic hiatus to provide a better, more permanent purchase for the wrap. But it does require a good surgeon.

Meanwhile, you will have to do whatever you can to reduce reflux - as described here - and keep on the lansoprazole.

As for drink and spicy foods, unless you have found them to be particular triggers for you, there's no need to avoid them.
IP IP Logged
Zippypop
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Zippypop Replybullet Posted: 28†Mar†2018 at 6:17pm
someone I spoke to raised a good point. acid blockers are prescribed to stop acid , however what about the damage being done by food and drink on the way down? for instance if you had a glass of orange juice , surely the damage would be done on the way down before it interacts with any ppi/medicine
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28†Mar†2018 at 6:38pm
NO.

Acidity of foods is negligible when compared to the strength of stomach acid. Foods will not harm your oesophagus. (However, if you were to drink battery acid, it would!

Thought experiment:
1. Pour lemon juice on the back of your hand. It feels wet but does no damage.
2. Pour battery acid on the back of your hand. It burns and causes abrasions.
3. Now pour lemon juice on the back of your hand. It hurts!
But it is n't the lemon juice that's done the damage.

Moral: If you have oesophagitis (caused by reflux of stomach acid) you need to let it heal. Whilst it is healing, you may feel irritation from milder acids passing over the damaged area but they aren't harming it.

Acid blockers (PPIs and H2 blockers) do not react with acid in the stomach nor foods entering the stomach; they prevent the stomach making too much strong acid.

See
the chapter on Medication in the Down With Acid book.

The Food section in the Down With Acid book.
IP IP Logged
bouncethruit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bouncethruit Replybullet Posted: 24†Apr†2018 at 9:21pm
Hello Dumps!

I haven't posted on this site for quite some time but just like my Barrett's, here we are again.

I have to admit that I can completely and utterly empathise with your plight so very much! I had mine done in 2011 and unfortunately it hasn't been a success either.

I now also have Gastritis and a suspected duodenal ulcer and life is pretty miserable to say the least. Like you there is no alcohol for me, no spicy munchies, no cow's milk (now drinking soya that my kids hate), no caffeine and no fat.

I am currently living on baby food basically which is everything my stomach is going to like, but everythng that I am going to hate...   

As a diversion I am now working on generally upping my physical health and waited to be referred back to an upper GI consultant for some assistance...

The only advice that I can offer you is that in my ten years experience of living with Barrett's, weight and stress are also quite predominant factors.

Hang on in there kitty!
GfromWalesUK
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version