Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum  
Message Icon Topic: Update on my barrett's plus advice Post Reply Post New Topic
Allan1875
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Allan1875 Replybullet Topic: Update on my barrett's plus advice
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:53pm
Hey everyone,

So I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with barretts at the age of 28 which was worrying.  I had 2 scopes and advised I had benign gastric barretts that was 1cm.  I was asked to go for a 3rd endoscopy due to my age, however when I arrived on Friday just past, they had decided that actually they no longer needed it. 

As discussed on here previously, gastric isn't even considered Barrett's in the US and my endoscopist said that this is more internationally accepted now also.  Due to the size and type of my Barrett's, they feel I am at no risk and I have been taken off monitoring completely.

I am happy with this but I have an issue currently and looking for advice.

At the tail end of November, I seemed to get some sort of stomach bug and was off my food for about 8 days (No sickness, just loss of appetite).  I lost a stone and struggled to get my appetite back.  I gradually built it up by eating easy foods like jelly and yoghurt and after about 4-5 weeks, I started to feel a lot better.  About a week later I seemed to catch something else which lasted another week or so and upset my stomach again.

Fast forward to now and I am still having some issues.  I keep randomly going off my food and I have been suffering discomfort in my abdomen just below my breastbone.  I spoke in detail to the endoscopist at my appointment last week and he agreed with my GP that it all sounded muscular but that doesn't really explain the issues with my stomach where I've been off my food?  I asked about an ulcer as I previously had one.  He said that if it was then they would be advising acid reducing medication, therefore a scope would be academic as I already take Lansoprazole daily.  I mentioned that the GP suggested doubling my dose for a week as I am on the lowest and he said this may help and to try it.

The only other thing the endoscopist suggested was that when your stomach and surrounding muscles have been through a hard time, like the 4-5 weeks, they can take months to recover and anything up to a year.

I plan to go back to my GP this week to discuss things as I just feel things have been dragging on a bit and wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?  I just want to get back to feeling normal so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit:  Apologies I may have put this in the wrong part of the forum.

Edited by Allan1875 - 13 Feb 2018 at 7:55pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version