Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus  
Message Icon Topic: 'can't do' after surgery? Post Reply Post New Topic
exbenzo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote exbenzo Replybullet Topic: 'can't do' after surgery?
    Posted: Yesterday at 2:41am
Hello guys, I've been wondering things that we can't do (or perhaps reduce?) after surgery:

I like doing martial arts that involve shocking and jumping movements that vibrate the whole body. Could I still be able to do it after surgery? I also saw a young woman on youtube who successfuly had her surgery and she was doing okay at the gym, lifting heavy weights.

So could you please explain things we can't do after surgery? I only know that for most people, they can't burp anymore and they should not throwing up since it can loosen the wrap (if they did the fundiplocation method).

Thanks so much in advance.

Edited by exbenzo - Yesterday at 2:42am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 3:44pm
Obviously for the first few weeks after surgery, certain physical restraint is required whilst the internal modifications heal. However, it should not be a block to anything but the most extreme of activity.

And it's actually not true that most peole cannot burp or throw up after surgery. It may be fairly common whilst the internal surgical scars repair, but most recipients actually are able to burp afterwards. (I could burp before leaving the hospital - though 5 hours violent retching with norovirus loosened the wrap.)

Following surgery, it is important to exercise, but gently and build it up slowly, to help your muscles rebuild core strength. (I went for progressively longer walks around the block from a 100 yards building to 1 mile.) But don't do any heavy lifting for the first few weeks.

Read Patients' experiences on Barrett's Wessex website, here and the
"20 years later" report, here.
IP IP Logged
exbenzo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote exbenzo Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 10:39pm
Thanks again, Chris! So, will we able to be normal (like pre-surgery) without any restriction at all when our body is finally recovered? Or perhaps it's different for each person?

Edited by exbenzo - Yesterday at 10:41pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version