Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General  
Message Icon Topic: Any suggestions on reflux Post Reply Post New Topic
PaellaMan
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote PaellaMan Replybullet Topic: Any suggestions on reflux
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 11:28am
Hi Guys. Im new to this forum ( unfortunately). Just been diagnosed with barretts. Doctor says he saw only a small tongue just about the z section. Still waiting on biopsy results and a ph test on the 12th of december. I am also very nervous about the whole thing besides being told by 2 doctors to relax. I need to lose maybe another 2 stone weight wise and my eating is healthier than ever now for the past 2 months yet my heartburn is through the roof. I have come off my nexiun for the ph test. I dont drink tea coffeee nor alcohol ( bummer for christmas ). Basically I drink water. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this horrible burning in my chest and dry mouth? Do you guys drink tea? I am not eating much meat of fatty foods, lots of veg, no acididic fruit nor oils. To no avail. I am actually a lot worse now that when I was downing beer all day and eating normally.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:48pm
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Barrett's Oesophagus forms as a protection against the erosion of acid reflux. In the vast majority of cases, it will never change but for a small percentage, it has the ability to progress via dysplasia to cancer which is why we need to take acid suppressant medication (eg Nexium esomeprazole) and have regular surveillance every few years.

Some pointers to remember.
1. Although, of course, it is important to eat healthily for most medical conditions, diet actually makes little or no difference to acid or reflux. Unless you identify a particular food causes you problems, there's no need to avoid it - so some alcohol at Christmas is not precluded. (Indeed, some research, linked to here, seems to show there could be a positive effect.)

See the Food section of the Down With Acid book.

2. Acid reflux has two components: Acid and Reflux. Whereas Acid Suppressant Medication will make the reflux less corrosive, it will not stop the reflux which ha to be managed by lifestyle modification or surgery.

The pain you feel from acid reflux is oesophagitis. It can take a few weeks on acid suppressants for that to heal. Thereafter, once you are on the right amount of the medication, you should find things more comfortable.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version