Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Bad week Post Reply Post New Topic
steveb8189

Online Status: Offline
Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Topic: Bad week
    Posted: 06áNová2017 at 12:52pm
Hi everyone - hope you're all well
Last week I had a very bad week for reflux. On the PPIs I don't get the burn anymore but had a constant feeling of nausea associated with belching and coughing. It lasted for around 5 days and then all of a sudden got better. I usually get this every couple of months for about a week.

Does anyone else experience this? I struggle to believe it was due to something I ate due to the longevity. I have a 2cm sliding HH and have no idea of the mechanics of it. Is that something which could be out of place for a week or does it constantly slide up and down?

Steve
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 07áNová2017 at 3:06pm
Hi Steve,

Sounds like you're getting reflux symptoms. PPIs ony reduce acid rather than reflux.
Perhaps it wasn't something you ate but the conditions you found yourself in leading to eating too quickly or too much?
This paper has just been published suggesting diaphragmatic breathing may help: Diaphragmatic Breathing Reduces Belching and Proton Pump Inhibitor Refractory Gastroesophageal Reflux Symptoms.

There's a YouTube video, here, that may help.

A sliding hiatus hernia doesn't (or shouldn't) slide easily. During a hiatus hernia repair, it actually sometimes necessary to slightly enlarge the hiatus further to retract the stomach. If yours does slide easily, it is possible to effect a (temporary) repair by filling your stomach with a quantity of fluid to make it heavy and jumping from a high step. The jolt can pull the stomach back into its correct position. However, if it slides that easily, it will probably reherniate just as easily.
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 09áNová2017 at 11:15am
Hi Chris
Yes, definitely reflux which is currently not acidic. I still fail to believe eating too much or too quickly could affect me for a week at a time.

I did look into the breathing excercises a few months ago:
http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1806

But didn't get many replies. It's interesting to see some new research on the topic as the piece I was referring to was over 20 years old. That said, the new paper seems to focus on supragastric belching (from what I understand basically throat gurgling) which is something I've never suffered from.

I've tried the whole jumping off a step after warm water before but without much effect.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version