Message Icon Topic: Ready to give up Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Topic: Ready to give up
    Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:38pm
So I had my Nissen a little over 12 months ago (just a few weeks beyond a year) and had relief from my reflux / burning. I did have issues at Christmas, which resulted in me going back on PPI, but post a scope that showed the wrap intact, I was encouraged to come off them again, and have been OK from Feb-July.

I've had a bad cold for a week or so and the reflux has returned with a vengeance. I'm also slightly able to burp, which hadn't been possible until now. I can think of no cause as I haven't been retching, haven't lifted anything heavy, haven't done anything on the no-no list. I don't drink don't smoke, don't have carbonated beverages. Have done all I can do behave as I was told after the op. At the same time, food got stuck again last night - so there must be some barrier there. I just don't understand.

I feel like I've thrown all my energy, and money, at trying to solve this and now I'm back at square one. I have some Esomeprazole (a couple of months worth) so will start to take those in the hope of some relief, but I fear I face a re-do, more time off work and more pain at 37 and after only 12 months.

I can't really afford to pay for another private fundo as I have a child now, but the NHS have consistently let me down and I'm scared it'll be months if not longer before I even get to see anyone much less get any action.

I don't want to be dramatic because it sounds ridiculous but I find it hard to want to go on. I've put up with this for 20-odd years now and feel like I'll never be well. I have to be here for my daughter, and I'm the only person working as my wife is looking after the baby. I'm just despairing at this point.

Edited by itf56_2 - 09 Aug 2017 at 9:45pm
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:46pm
My sympathy is with you but I'm not sure what to add.

Is it reflux or heartburn you are suffering from? Do you get any relief from gaviscon?

It's around 10% of people who have a fundo who need to continue on PPIs. Do you find the emsoprazole effective?

I guess it may be that the wrap has loostened a bit causing you the issues Don't give up on the NHS. Get to your GP and get an apointment booked. Waiting times are one thing but waiting to get on a waiting list is pointless.
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:49pm
I used to mostly suffer from heartburn particularly overnight but this seems to be reflux.

Don't know on the esomeprazole as I've only taken the first one today in desperation and will continue to take them and see how I do.

Gaviscon hasn't helped, I've even picked up the Gaviscon advance from the pharmacy but no it just doesn't do anything.

I'm going to try and request a GP appointment tomorrow but my GP surgery has just changed hands and is unusually chaotic. My GP did manage to get me referred to the private hospital who did my Nissen for the scope at Christmas but he has gone in the reshuffle and I'm not sure they would be so helpful a second time especially as the scope in January showed the Nissen as intact.

Edited by itf56_2 - 09 Aug 2017 at 9:51pm
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:59pm
So no burning now? What symptoms are you experiencing?
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by steveb8189

So no burning now? What symptoms are you experiencing?

Burning in my throat yes and the taste of acid at the back of my mouth - not burning in my oesophagus and not classic heartburn further down if that makes sense?

Edited by itf56_2 - 09 Aug 2017 at 10:02pm
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:07pm
Yes it does. Very similar symptoms to the ones I have while on PPIs. I'm surprised the gaviscon doesn't help though.

Perhaps the GP can request a 24hr pH monitoring to see I you are actually refluxing. It could always be something else - post nasal drip?
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:08pm
Could post nasal drip seem acid-y in the absence of reflux?

Edited by itf56_2 - 09 Aug 2017 at 10:11pm
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 6:45am
It could certainly taste sour. Have you ever had allergy issues?

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:48am
I had my redo on NHS but it can take a while as they are getting so short of staff. The procedure is also classified as "elective" surgery putting it below "emergency" and "essential" in terms of priority.

It took 10 months from request to completion with me.

You can read my account here.
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:21am
Originally posted by chrisrob

I had my redo on NHS but it can take a while as they are getting so short of staff. The procedure is also classified as "elective" surgery putting it below "emergency" and "essential" in terms of priority.

It took 10 months from request to completion with me.

You can read my account here.

As you might recall I was told I couldn't have my initial fundoplication on the NHS as there was "no budget" by my GP who wouldn't even refer me to discuss the matter. I'm not expecting better this time.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version