General
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General  
Message Icon Topic: Hi new on here worried about my diagnoses Post Reply Post New Topic
Alan64
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Alan64 Replybullet Topic: Hi new on here worried about my diagnoses
    Posted: Today at 5:57pm
So i had a stressfull start to the year and my anxiety went through the roof wich kicked off my stomach and i have been suffering with a pain in mi back, so on friday i had an upper endiscope i was semi concious and i was convinced i heard the doctor saying tonnes of barrets which now after searching online maybee he said tongue barrets, my blood pressure was through the roof throughout the hospital visit as i am terrified of cancer, when i was being discharged the discharge nurse said i hadnt much to be concerned about but i am still terrified of the results of my biopsy so i was just wondering what u guys think
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: Today at 7:54pm
Hi Alan and welcome

Did the person doing the endoscopy debrief you afterwards? Did you get a copy of the report providing documentation of what was seen? If you post it on here we'll be able to explain what it means. It will also have some pictures which will give you a view of what's down there.

Try not to stress out too much - especially not based on the rather flaky information you currently have!

IP IP Logged
Alan64
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Alan64 Replybullet Posted: Today at 8:06pm
I had no debrief after the procedure, i was just wheeled out and the nurse in the recovery ward said it all would be explained before i left, ther was a room where im not sure if the guy was a doc or a discharge nurse, he said i had hiatis hernia of 2 cm and my stomach was fine but i had barrets esophagus, he showed me pics and one of the pics looked like my esophagus had a red stain on it the would be tongue shape, he said to me i would just have to manage my acid levels and im not sure if he was talking about what he reckoned from my chart or just barrets in general, i just have such serious anxiety and i lost a limb to cancer at the age of 12, my brother passed from cancer and my mother had barrets and developed esophageal cancer also so at the minute i am in a world of anxiety
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: Today at 9:24pm
I feel for you. It sounds like you've had a really tough time. Which hospital were you scoped at?

Unfortunately you are now in a period of limbo waiting for the results of the biopsies. Have you read up on Barrett's? There is a small chance of it progressing to cancer and I've never seen anything suggesting there are any genetic links so (without downplaying it) your brothers condition should not mean anything for you.

I also get terrible anxiety and have just about got it under control with my Barrett's but I'm due another scope in two weeks and it's started again. You'll improve over time as you gain more of an understanding about the condition. Remember - about one in every 20 people you see have it and 99% don't know they've got it. We are in the much better position!
IP IP Logged
Alan64
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Alan64 Replybullet Posted: Today at 10:43pm
I was scoped in dublin i joined this forum as i havnt seen an irish equivelant, i had just gotten on top of my anxiety isuues through counciling and then wham it was back into the mixer with this, my anxiety kicked right back in i have a blood pressure phobia also i cant go near a docs or hospital whitout it rocketing and this makes all these situations even harder for me, i was prescribed losamel when i was 20 and am 39 now and it was my first ever scope so im not use to all this, i have been realy bad with my diet and alcohol all these years so it just worries me more, and also thanks for ur replies i am very greatful to find people with experience to share this with
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version