Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus  
Message Icon Topic: Confusion post scope Post Reply Post New Topic
Jo T
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jo T Replybullet Topic: Confusion post scope
    Posted: Yesterday at 9:36am
Hi, the last time I posted here was following an endoscopy whilst living in Greece, when it was kindly explained to me what Barrett C0M2 meant. I've now returned to the UK and last August had my first scope here. I was surprised when the nurse undertaking the scope said there was no sign of Barrett's and no sign on the images taken at previous scopes. I've moved again before a hospital appointment was offered but have received a letter from the consultant confirming lack of macroscopic evidence of Barrett's and no further surveillance required.I feel so confused and wondered if anyone could advise as obviously my new GP has none of my previous medical history. Thank you!!
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 10:06am
You may not have Barrett's.

C0M2 means there was no circumferential ring and only a 2cm tongue visible. I don't know whether that was ever biopsied and Barrett's confirmed?
However, it may have been cardial metaplasia rather than intestinal metaplasia which, although classed as Barrett's in UK, EU and most countries, can easily be misdiagnosed as a biopsy could have been taken below the z-line (junction of oesophagus and stomach). (This can often be the case with an irregular z-line.)

Since the examining endoscopist could find nothing to biopsy, the suggestion is you may not have it.

If you did have Barrett's, you'll still have it but the very small tongue you had may be hidden in corrugations of the mucosa or a new epithelial layer formed over it.

It is good news that no Barrett's is apparent, but you are now aware of your insides and will know to seek further investigation if any acid reflux symptoms recur or persist.
IP IP Logged
Jo T
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Jo T Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 12:23pm
Thank you, Barrett's is mentioned in the biopsy report from Greece not the UK. In Greece PPI only prescribed when needed with a scope every three years. I don't know what my GP will suggest he's been quite confused as well! This has been very helpful.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 1:51pm
Jo T
     Good luck doctors cause a Whole lot of trouble when they don't know what their doing .U don't take PPI's when u need them u take them 24/7 .I hope ur UK doc saw ALL the reports and I guess no samples taken on both . U can't tell by LOOKING u need biopsies ..Take the PPI's if the UK Doc tells u then find a Super doc 3 years from now and get a Proper scope not the 2 u had . As long as a Doc is down there they Should've takensamples to LOOK for hidden barretts or anything .
Waste of Good money

CHEERs
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version