Message Icon Topic: Confused and relieved Post Reply Post New Topic
canada 1
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote canada 1 Replybullet Topic: Confused and relieved
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:34am
Hi,

I have posted here several times before. I was diagnosed with Barrett's in 2011 after an initial endoscopy. At that time, I had been suffering from terrible heartburn for many years and I had ulcers and what looked like inflammation in the photos from the endoscopy. I went through another one later that year where it looked much better, but the doctor maintained that diagnosis, although he said it was not to the point where it was about to change to anything more serious. So he kept me on a 40mg Nexium (for life) which I had been prescribed after my initial exam.

After that, I was to see him again in about three years, at which time, we would likely have to do another endoscopy. So I went to see him three years ago and was told that due to new guidelines, we didn't have to do any more endoscopies and that I should see him again only if I wasn't feeling well.

Fast-forward to late last year. I felt completely distressed about the entire situation, especially having to continue on the PPIs. I had taken upon myself to go down to a 20mg dose. Had tried to quit altogether, but was not able. Went back to the Nexium 20mg a day and that worked fine. Went back to see the gastroenterologist. He is by the way a very well-known expert in his field in Canada. This time, he said we ought to do another endoscopy to check on things.

I had it done in March, then went back to see the doctor a month later for the results. This time he shocked me completely with what he told me: It seems that I never really had Barrett's and the latest biopsies confirmed that. Because of the initial inflammation, he had assumed that the damage had already been done, but after 3 biopsies, they found no traces of it at all. He even went as far as to say that I no longer needed to take PPIs and could try and get off of them.

I was blown away. For six years this had weighed on my mind and now I was being told that I never really had this problem that I had since spent so much time thinking about and worrying about.

Then comes the getting off PPIs part. I still had an acid reflux problem and presume to still do. I've dropped a lot of weight since last year which should help, but I had tried to get off them last year and could not take it for more than a week, with the rebound effect.

I tried to get off of them again this time with the same results. The doctor suggested one 20mg Nexium every two days. I have now been able to gain success with that, taking the Nexium one day and 300mg of Zantac the next and alternating. This is far better than the 40mg daily dose I had been taking for nearly 6 years. My aim is still to get off of PPIs entirely, but I feel it is going to be tough. When you feel that acid again after so many years, a panic sets in. After all, I don't want to cause damage again even though I was lucky the last time.

In any case that is my story. I should be happy, but I am also very weary.

Edited by canada 1 - 22 May 2017 at 12:37am
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:46am
C1
    Why is it that everyone who comes on this Blog their doctor is an expect including ME? If ANY of the biopsies in 6 years were reviewed and showed Barretts you have Barrtts , It doesn't go away EVER so ask the doc or review ur Path reports IF u can get them like I did. If u FEEL the burn means u need PPI's ect. SO take them @ the correct dose they won't Kill u but OC can. Go see ur Doc in 3 years for another scope . I had 8cm of HGD and my next 6 month scope is on the 25th..
     I hear Montreal is just full of the French and a short Flt from Chicago too .I wonder if the hotels are affordable the Bus drivers Careful?

CHEERs
IP IP Logged
canada 1
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote canada 1 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:49pm
Doc says that no report ever showed that I had it.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:57pm
C1
   Then the ODDs are u never had it Just looked like it. U are one of the Lucky ones take Care of ur O .

CHEERs
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version