Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Cancer protection with PPIs Post Reply Post New Topic
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Topic: Cancer protection with PPIs
    Posted: 31áMayá2015 at 1:22pm
At the risk of courting controversy which this topic always seems to engender, I was interested to find abstracts from two different papers in my mailbox this morning which support PPI use as a cancer inhibitor.

This paper from University of Texas and published in Gastroenterology Clinics of North America,
The Effect of Proton Pump Inhibitors on Barrett's Esophagus. asserts:

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may protect against carcinogenesis in Barrett's esophagus because they eliminate the chronic esophageal inflammation of reflux esophagitis, and because they decrease esophageal exposure to acid, which can cause cancer-promoting DNA damage and increase proliferation in Barrett's metaplasia. Most clinical studies of PPIs and cancer development in Barrett's esophagus have found a cancer-protective effect for these drugs, although there are some contradictory data. Chemoprevention of dysplasia and cancer in Barrett's esophagus with PPIs appears to be cost-effective, and the indirect evidence supporting a cancer-protective role for PPIs is strong enough to warrant PPI treatment of virtually all patients with Barrett's esophagus.

This other paper is from the Italian National Institute of Health, Istituto Superiore di SanitÓ, which compared the anti-tumor efficacy of different PPIs in vitro and in vivo.
Proton pump inhibitors while belonging to the same family of generic drugs show different anti-tumor effect. In the context: "Tumor acidity represents a major cause of chemoresistance. Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) can neutralize tumor acidity, sensitizing cancer cells to chemotherapy.", it found, "Lansoprazole showed higher anti-tumor effect when compared to the other PPIs. The lansoprazole effect lasted even upon drug removal from the cell culture medium."
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 31áMayá2015 at 8:55pm
Interesting, Prevacid (lansoprazol) had
I might be interested in seeing if can tolerate Prevacid. I take protonix which is slightly different. Been happy with it, but ???
I'd like to read more about this one.

Edited by teacher man - 31áMayá2015 at 8:56pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 31áMayá2015 at 9:04pm
Teach
   All PPI's help because they stop the Acid reflux so normal tissue doesn't turn Barretts then OC. . Simple common sense how much did they spend on that ??
Try OTC for a few days or PM address I have a 2 year supply 15mg.
   I got new PPI's coming too.

CHEERs
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 01áJuná2015 at 7:28pm
Hi Chris, I'm getting more confused.
I read in Refluxmd and in their surveillance for Barrett's article they speak of a patient whose doc put him on dexilant for four weeks and then told him to use it as needed.
Then in the same article the author wrote under the action called, How do I avoid progression" and he wrote "use medication only as needed and focus on diet"
Are doctors changing their tune?
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 01áJuná2015 at 7:39pm
Just like the Wind or as they are told .. I was on that costly stuff I threw it out . It's a time released PPI so what .

Edited by jcombs99 - 01áJuná2015 at 7:43pm
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 01áJuná2015 at 7:55pm
Hi Jeff, Dexilant wasn't my point.......
I've always heard the anti ppi remarks but never heard of a real doctor telling their patients with BE to use it as needed.
So, my point or question is just this......are doctors starting to change their tune about ppi's.   
In Refluxmd that is wht they are doing in may 2015 edition. In the article about surveilnce and Barrett's.    
It's not the point of their article but it's clearly stated.
Plus, I've never herd a story where. Doctor tells their Barrett's patients to use the ppi's as needed.   
Is this the beginning of the end of ppi's.    Again....beginning??? Or is already the norm?
Chris, you know a lot of docs if you see they are changing their tune can you let me know.   It's very apparent this publication is not for Barrett's patients to use them long term. And they are associated with a lot of doctors. My doctor is represented on Refluxmd. I've emailed him my concerns and asked for clarification. Since he is recommended by the site.
I wil still take my ppi but I am reading and will continue to research this area.

Edited by teacher man - 01áJuná2015 at 8:03pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 01áJuná2015 at 8:05pm
No doctor in his right mind would say that PPI's are all the time thing not like Tums . Use as needed 90% of patients as in me have no idea how they got HGD or EC . [
One study or ONE doctor means nothing PPI"s and Diet and waist lines are the best things watched ..

JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 01áJuná2015 at 8:09pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 02áJuná2015 at 11:14am
Hi Teacher,

There have always been advocates for taking PPIs only when you think you need them. The NHS advice is to attempt control of acid reflux symptoms with diet first but for those with Barrett's, it's usually to take them continuously but at minimum effective dose.

Dyspepsia and gastro‑oesophageal reflux disease

I guess in US, where these medicines are more prevalent Over The Counter and patients may not regularly have their prescription reviewed, the advice is given to prevent over use and abuse of them.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version