Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: New Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
paulb
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote paulb Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 1:24pm
Indeed, before ablation, my Barretts went from 2cm down 0.5cm after 2 months of PPIs and healthy living. It may have ultimately completely receded even if I hadn't had the ablation.

I went with ablation because I could and because I would have residual concern about buried barretts. (Rational or not)
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 1:52pm
Paul
Yours was the perfect textbook case .You Worried about it (right or wrong) so you had the ins. and funds to halo so you did like me.I would NEVER tell anyone to go into hock to Halo just barretts ..
When my barretts reappeared after 2 years my doctor stated he could have missed a speck and I stated " Don't think so Doc sure IT"S ME"..
But if buried barretts pops up OK but what if it pops DOWN which he stated can happen..You never see it change ..
IP IP Logged
peggy43
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote peggy43 Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:48pm
Thanks again! I have been on PPIs for about 5 years and have tried every medication going. My reflux is complicated as its airway reflux and I have regular doses of aspiration pneumonia. The docs say my lungs are damaged and I have bronchiecstasis from constantly breathing in the gases from my stomach. My oesophagus has very poor function. They have offered me the fundo operation but say they do not know if it will work for my type of GORD. I keep telling them I want more info but all I seem to get is it might work or it might not! And it could make my swallowing worse!
Peggy
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 4:58pm
Peg
Keep an eye on Chris's case which is a REfundo because of Reflux in his LUNGS.If you Fix your LOS and fix the HH to normal why wouldn't it work ?? They did offer it to you ..

No 100% on anything Lady deal with the Risk !!!

Just a carpenter with a bad fundo ..
IP IP Logged
peggy43
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote peggy43 Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:13pm
Thanks yes I hear what you are saying its just I had a breast cancer operation and reconstruction 9 years ago and have chronic pain so am just a bit cautious of my body being altered again
peggy
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:19pm
Small world Peg
My sister in-law had that too. She was one of the first ones at John Hopkins to do that . THEN years later she had a FUNDO(works)but my HH came back..

RISK !!!
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 5:48pm
Hi Peggy,

Like you, my problem is one of aspiration and the cough is really debilitating: I almost pass out in my coughing fits where everything goes blank, I go dizzy and it takes a few minutes for me to "come round" with a weird sensation of everything pulling and pushing.

I had the fundo over 4 years ago and it worked well. My cough didn't go entirely (I imagine I have residual lung damage) but it was perfectly manageable.
My wrap appears to have come undone and I want it redone.

I am having a scope next Wednesday to assess it. I am hoping I'll be offered the new op at the end of November (as I'm away for the first 3 weeks and it would be good to have recovered in time for Christmas - or I may have to ask the excellent cook that is my sister-in-law to liquidise everything!)

I know I have a high pain threshold but I don't like the thought of pain. However, my first operation went smoothly and apart from feeling bruised felt fine. It only took a few weeks to get back onto solid food.

(My account of my first fundo can be read at the bottom of the page this link will take you to.)

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
peggy43
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote peggy43 Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 9:54pm
Hi Chris it sounds like we have very similar problems/symptoms. Good luck with your scope and I hope they offer you the fundo again, especially since it worked so well. Do you have problems with swallowing as well? That is what is putting me off the fundo as the consultant said it could make swallowing worse.
Thanks again
Peggy
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:59am
Hi Peggy,
I had no problems with swallowing post fundo. Initially the constraint of the wrap makes the lower end of the oesophagus narrow. (This gets better as the scar tissue heals.) So you would need to be on liquids and soft foods for a few weeks.
Though some years ago (pre fundo) I used to have difficulty swallowing some things - mainly chicken breast and bread.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 4:32pm
There's a protein drink here called (old folks)ENSURE lived on it for 2 weeks tastes great and no big deal ..
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version