Message Icon Event: Teas - Event Date: 17 Apr 2013 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
chookiemumma
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote chookiemumma Replybullet Calendar Event: Teas
    Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:51am
Hi, I was just wondering what and if any people drink tea.
I use to drink black tea but after being diagonized with Barrett's oesophagus I started to drink decaffeinated green tea. Im not sure if it helps with my symptons or sometimes upsets them,
Does anyone still drink tea or decaffeinated green tea or decaffeinated black tea or none at all because they are bad for barrett's.
I really love my tea but want to make the best choices.
I appreciate any information back. I know everyone is different and it affects people differently.
Thanks
IP IP Logged
bobby
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote bobby Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 8:00pm
I still drink loads of tea, in fact I get laughed at for my pot of tea at my desk in the morning.

Just normal run of the mill Tetley tea bags, with a small amount of skimmed milk added to the pot just so each mug is consistent.... Wink

Got to have some guilty pleasures after all......

IP IP Logged
Bren
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Bren Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:34pm
Hi

Tea is actually really good for Barretts, especially green tea. It slows progression, check out some of these links...

http://www.livewellnaturally.com/Health-and-Nutrition-Articles/Nutrition-Articles-2006/Green-Tea-Inhibits-Cancer-of-Esophagus.html

http://www.rejuvenation-science.com/n_green-tea_cancer.html

I absolutely love tea (Im Irish so I have to love tea, ha).
IP IP Logged
CAROLINEJ
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote CAROLINEJ Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 1:43pm
I drink decaf now, but am thinking of trying decaf green tea.
Caroline.
IP IP Logged
chookiemumma
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote chookiemumma Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 7:10am
Thankyou all so much for your information, I will now be able to enjoy a cup of tea or 6 without feeling guilty. Thankyou Bren I will definatley check out those links.
Is there anything else that you can advise me to drink as well, as I am a bit sick of water all the time.

IP IP Logged
Bren
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Bren Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 11:41am
Hey Chookie

I am quite new to all this barretts stuff but I have been on a bit of a research quest of late, I work in a university so research comes quite naturally, ha.

So far this is what I have learned (mostly from the fantastic help on this site)

Tea is great, even black tea, but especially green tea. However not too hot, I mix some cold water with my green tea. There are lots of herbal and fruit teas that you could drink, just not too hot.

Yesterday I bought vitamin D and Calcium supplements as PPIs deplete both vit D and stop Calcium absorption. I also take vit B12 as PPIs allow bacteria to increase greatly and they eat up all your vit B12, so a top up is good. And I find that acidopilus really helps to reduce bloating and gas.

Other than that...I had a coke last night with my Indian and it was fine, 4 weeks ago when my new son was born I drank a few red bulls to get me through the week, was so so tired. I also have two weak coffees a day and that seems to be fine. I think moderation is the key, for example it will be at least a week before I have another coke and red bull is for emergencies only, ha.

Hope my extended waffle helped a bit, ha.

Bren
IP IP Logged
CAROLINEJ
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote CAROLINEJ Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 1:32pm
Just been over to the shops and got some green tea, but couldn't find any decafe ones, will try again next time, what about white tea would that help aswell? because thats got even more good stuff in.

Edited by CAROLINEJ - 20 Apr 2013 at 2:00pm
Caroline.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 1:40pm
Carol
   Green tea (money maker) means NOTHING just like the term car . Find a mature Herb person and ask which one to buy ..
Been There

Jeff
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 2:56pm
I don't drink tea which is why I'm staying out of the debate. My wife's a serial teapot, though with "normal" tea, Earl Grey, decaff, Red Bush (natural decaf), green tea and some herbal ones always around. Though she'll have a couple of mugs of "normal" tea first thing to wake up, she usually stays with RedBush all day long - putting the kettle on as soon as she finished the previous mug.

I'm totally the other way. Years of reflux taught me not to drink much. I know I don't drink enough - probably a total of one litre a day (two coffees a glass of wine and a small glass of water (or real beer - not lager): but not to be recommended for others - it's less than half what I should be drinking.
IP IP Logged
Bren
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Bren Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 3:03pm
Store bought green tea works absolutely fine, it has all the properties that are recommended.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version